Monday, November 17, 2008

Really bad hair day

It's so stupid that I'm sitting here bawling over a bad haircut. I mean, it's just hair, right? Eventually, my bangs will grow out and the rest can still be pulled into a ponytail. It's just that....well, money's tight for us (and everyone else, too) right now so I've been trying to cut back on expenses where I can. So, I stopped getting my hair colored a year ago, gave up acrylic nails and started doing my own manicures. I switched from Clinique and Estee Lauder to generic makeup and cleansers, and I haven't replaced my burned-out favorite curling iron. The last concession was giving up a nice salon for Great Clips. This horrible haircut was the last straw. Somehow over the last few years, I've gone from relatively high-maintenance to frumpy housewife. A fat, frumpy housewife, no less.
It bothers me that I'm so upset over this. With the abundance of blessings my family and I enjoy, I shouldn't feel so deprived. I know in my heart that I am richly blessed with the things that matter most - a strong, healthy, happy family tops the list. So, in the spirit of gratitude, I think I'll write a list of things I'm thankful for until I feel better. It'll have to be a pretty long list, though. My bangs look that bad.

I'm truly grateful to the Lord for:
- my cute family - Kent, Lauren, Lindsey and Emily are my life.
- a strong, eternal marriage to my sweetheart
- a beautiful home with enough room to entertain friends and family
- my hair - a bad haircut beats baldness any day
- my health (although a good fitness program would help here)
- the gospel. No matter how much I gripe about getting up for church, I love it dearly.
- my extended family - even the nutty ones
- my crazy friends who like me no matter what
- being a stay-at-home mom
- Diet Coke and chocolate
- Cafe Rio salads
- Jill, Wendy, and Maddi for keeping me sane through cheer season (they also fall under the friend category, but I wanted to be more specific here)
- all the beautiful, spiritual women who have inspired and taught me over the years: mom, Becky Thomas, Sheryl Wilson, Andrea, Aunt Julie, and a dozen more from my childhood ward
- having a sister who total "gets" me. Usually.
- Kent's great job. Without it I'd really be making sacrifices! :)
- a husband who truly enjoys being a husband and father, and helps around the house, too. (I know you're all feeling jealous, huh?)
- the holiday season and all the joy it brings!
- Jill again for agreeing to try to fix my bangs later today :)

Okay, I feel a smidgen better now.

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

I know how you feel about bad hair cuts. Luckily though, they tend to grow out pretty quickly, Plus, you're pretty talented in that area. Remember when Samantha cut her hair and I had to have it all chopped off, and then you fixed it for me and it was so cute?

Channa said...

Wasn't that the time Brinley was in on it, too? :)

Amy said...

I've had soooo many horrible haircuts, so I really feel for you. Remember my really, REALLY short pixie do? Yeah, that was bad. Or the time my hair turned purple and then I had to die it so dark to cover it that I looked almost gothic? So at least it's just the bangs, right?

andrea said...

Love you Channa.........with your great hair, the only difference between a bad hair cut and a good hair cut is about a week. Give or take a few days. Glad I'm on your blessing list. That makes me feel really great. Can you feel the good vibe?

Laura said...

Bad haircuts are the worst- but I also agree it takes a couple of weeks and it is manageable and I'm sure you will rock it! I love your list of things to be grateful for- it helps when times are tough. Also congrats on 10 years- that is awesome!!!