Friday, October 10, 2008

Watch me, Mommy!!

Yesterday afternoon, Emily came running in yelling, "Mommy, come see what I can do!"
I watched from Lindsey's window as Emily suddenly appeared - flying down the driveway on her friend's bike WITHOUT TRAINING WHEELS! Apparently, she had decided that if Sophia could do it, of course she could,too. I was stunned and excited for her. Our very shy, little Emmy is the most daring and determined of the three girls, so this wasn't a completely shocking event. Just unexpected. I immediately went out to the garage and removed the now-unnecessary training wheels from her own bike.
We're so proud of her for being so independent and fearless, but I can't help but feel a little sad that we're missing out on something. One of my favorite memories is watching Kent hold the back of Lauren's seat as she gained confidence to balance herself, trusting that Daddy would be there until she was ready to go solo. Lindsey is still at that stage where Daddy holds on to help balance her. Emily pretty much just let us know that she doesn't need us quite as much as her sisters. Should this worry us about her teen years? I guess I should just celebrate her accomplishment, huh? Anyway, here's a short video clip of that first (that I saw) ride, and one of her doing her other favorite trick.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

That is so awesome!! I am still trying to get Scott to rise without training wheels, but he doesn't even try.

Channa said...

Lindsey still has training wheels, too. Emily just jumped ahead! :)